The Police Federation of England & Wales (PFEW) is one the largest staff associations in the UK, representing 120,000 police constables, sergeants, inspectors and chief inspectors.
We are very proud to be a retained panel law firm to the PFEW. Our Police Federation lawyers have specialised in advising and representing police officers since 2003.
Precedence Law Director, Mandip Kumar, was awarded a Formal Crest by the West Midlands Police Federation for providing "outstanding" services to its members in 2008. This was the first time such an award has been presented to a lawyer by the Police Federation.
Mandip Kumar often advises on police corruption and misconduct cases. A Chambers & Partners interviewee stated: "Clients are in awe of his commitment to their case, and he brings added value and is a catalyst for creative thinking and problem solving."
We are experts in Police Federation cases including high profile cases, which may attract significant public interest. Our track record in representing officers successfully in serious criminal and misconduct cases is unrivalled.
We have dealt with Police cases that have set precedents and helped the position of Police Officers nationally.
For an example of the leading case on the role of the IPCC and how they should conduct their investigations into Police Officers, see Chief Constable of the West Yorkshire Police v Independent Police Complaints Commission and Others  EWCA 1367.
We also dealt with the latest case on criminal Misconduct in Public Office at the Court of Appeal in 2016: R v France  EWCA Crim 1588.
We advise and represent Police Officers in the following areas:
Criminal and Misconduct Investigations and Proceedings:
- Officer’s served with formal Regulation 15 Notices under the Police (Conduct) Regulations 2012;
- Allegations relevant to duty related matters;
- Where the allegations are not in relation to duty matters, we are on the panel for specialist insurers to ensure that Police Officers continue to receive specialist legal advice;
- Investigations conducted by the IPCC, PSD including major crime anti-corruption specialist teams;
- We proactively work on a case at the outset to help the officer establish a strategy that will help them: we have on many occasions challenged the lawfulness of the service of the Regulation 21 Notice and accompanying papers;
- Expert help with the careful drafting of Regulation 22 Responses;
- Experience of successfully challenging the lawfulness of investigations by way of Judicial Review at an early stage;
- Successful track record of advancing unfairness/abuse of process, breach of disclosure and appearance of bias arguments.
Police Appeal Tribunals
- We have successfully pursued cases to the Police Appeals Tribunal;
- We are experts in navigating our way around the draconian effect of the PAT rules on officers wishing to pursue appeals;
- We have challenged the decisions of the PAT by way of Judicial Review.
Post Incident Procedures / Police contact death and serious injury cases
- We have provided expert legal training at local and national levels;
- We have substantial experience of dealing with complex and high profile Police firearms cases, Police pursuits and other Police contact death or serious injury cases;
- We have always protected the best interests of Police Officers in these difficult circumstances, and we will ensure that all legal and if required, medical expert issues are covered at the outset;
- We have on numerous occasions instructed Consultants Pathologists at the second PM where the case is of a sensitive and high-profile nature.
- Where the PIP matter proceeds to an Inquest and the Police Officer is an “interested person,” we have extensive experience of protecting the best interests of our client to safeguard them from any current or potential criminal and misconduct investigations;
- We work with the leading experts in this area of the law.
Civil Actions against the Authorities
- We advise and represent Police Officers who are pursue claims for wrongful arrest and malicious prosecution against the Authorities;
- Expertise in complex civil misfeasance in public office claims against the Authorities.
Contact our Expert Police Federation Solicitors Leeds, Yorkshire, Manchester, Birmingham & London
We represent professionals, regulated professionals, executives, directors, business owners, high profile and high net worth individuals from Leeds, Bradford, Yorkshire, East Midlands, West Midlands, London, Manchester, Birmingham and all jurisdictions in England and Wales.
For a free, confidential discussion about your case, call us now on 01138343186 or fill out our online form and we will call you back without delay. Should you find yourself needing urgent advice and representation, you can contact us 24 hours per day, seven days a week.